Saturday, March 3, 2012

Cloth Diaper Update

My package came in the mail a speedy two days later. From freaking New York, I was impressed. One of the diapers was defective and they even overnighted me a replacement and a return envelope for it. I opened up the priority mail box like a little kid on Christmas. I was giddy. I layed them out and took a picture of them, I cannot get the picture to rotate for the royal life of me.  I got 5 diapers that are one use before wash (called pockets or all in ones, they look the most like a disposable. I also received 3 covers, you put an insert in them and just change the soiled insert (and wipe out the cover), very economical option. I tried the Thirsties, Flip and they came with 4 different inserts to test. Some are called prefolds that you prefold before putting them in the diaper and the kind that are all ready to go (they are rectangular) are called inserts.



Mr. B is looking pretty snazzy in his new fluffy diapers. I won't lie his butt it now pretty big (known as fluffy in the cloth diapering community), it is a little tricky with clothes and such, sometimes its fun to just have him run around in just a diaper. Some of the diapers were definitely not as bulky as others. I am now in search of more trim cloth diapers (I succeeded a week later see my newest cloth diaper post). I will let you know what I end of loving and buying more of.

I ventured to the cloth diaper booth at the local Craft Boutique called the Quilted Bear. It was nice to see more brands in person, online does not help you know what is thick and what is trim. I picked up some Econobum Covers and Prefolds, they look a lot like old school cloth diapers but dont require pins, you just fold the cloth set in inside the cover and snap it up. (The fit ended up being pretty crappy and I sold the cover, I kept the insert and use it in a better cover).

I also found some inexpensive pocket style diapers there called Tweedle bugs. They are cool in that they are 12 bucks for two inserts (that you slide in the pocket) but the unique feature is they have a pocket opening on the front and back so you can put the whole thing in the washer, no need to pull out a peed on insert. Awesome I tell you. I bought what G. calls the Tuxedo diaper. Its a shiny black and he looks so cute.



From the backside:


Ooh my third and final find there was a type of cloth diaper detergent that is normally only sold online, it is not expensive if you have a HE machine, because it only needs 2 tablespoons ( I was later told I could get away with only 1 tbs if I use the hard water formula, sweet). Ooh and the best part is it smells like Raspberry Pixie Sticks.