Tuesday, February 19, 2013

What I use Part 2: One Size Pockets



Earlier I wrote about how I use Prefolds and Covers for Hodie, How I use covers with inserts overnight for Mr. B, these are called AI2's or all in twos. I also use pocket diapers. I realized that I did not thoroughly explain the differences between each kind of cloth diaper well enough so today I hope to shed some light on each kind.

One Size Pockets:

I use two types of pockets, the first is a One Size Snap adjusting back opening kind, like a Sunbaby, Alva, Bum Genius etc. The second is a Charlie Banana (Fuzzi Bunz also work like this) that adjusts with elastic inside and opens in the front. This adjusting sizes make the diapers fit a 12 pound baby or a 35 pound baby. A lot of bang for your buck :)






How they work:

As the name implies you "stuff" the pockets with absorbent materials. You can stuff them with microfiber inserts (most common), cotton prefolds, hemp or bamboo (although bamboo tends to work better as a doubler then as a separate insert). These diapers are one time use. After baby pees or poops in it you take out the insert and put it and the shell in the diaper pail. DO NOT REUSE A POCKET SHELL.


 The microfiber inserts are the quickest absorbing but prone to leaking if baby is sitting for long times, so people often put hemp, bamboo or cotton underneath the inserts when they know the baby will be in the diaper awhile.

This is everything I own all together, diapering two kiddos :)