Wednesday, January 29, 2014

On "Going #2"



For the life of me I can't stop laughing about this ^^ I feel like it describes my life since Hoden was born. First it was making sure that he "pooped" for the first time. Then it was nervously waiting for him to poop into his colostomy bag. After the reversal it was anxiously waiting for his first real poop. Then it was "how many times did he poop today." Before he was born I had certainly taken such a simple bodily function for granted. Never again.

I have been in touch with so many families who have gone through severe health obstacles involving this specific bodily function. I have laughed with them, cried with them and then laughed again. Their stories gave me strength when I was so frustrated that I didn't know what to do. Sometimes it was in person or via the internet but all the interaction was so helpful. I hope to be able to offer the same support to others.

As of last week Hoden has had a full 8 days of normal bowel movements and we are so delighted/relieved that its hard to express how we feel. Our days of packing 8 diapers for an evening out of the house are hopefully behind us. Behind us are the days of burning through diaper cream and changing diapers ever hour.

Last week we were fortunate enough to participate in a "bowel management" clinic at our local children's hospital. They began with a contrast enema and followed up with information about laxatives and diet. It was an interesting ordeal as pinning down a willful 18 month old for a x-ray let alone a enema. The poor kid fought like I have never seen before and I can't blame him. His diapers from after that event were something I hope to never relive. But they got the images they needed so it was all worth it in the end.

It hasn't been a magical or overnight change as we had hoped for but with some patient tweaking and a diligent following of his prescribed "bowel management" program our Hoden is able to be "normal." Our bowel program involves a nightly does of liquid ex-lax (senna) at a dose of 8ml and we give him 1 tb of pectin 3 times a day.

Its been a challenging road at times but it has taught me how to accept service, to never take simple bodily functions for granted and that things could always be so much worse. If you are ever feeling like a challenge you have is too hard to bare a walk down the hallway at the Children's hospital helps me reevaluate. I feel so blessed to be the mom of such a happy and healthy kiddo. We love him so much. We are pretty sure he loves us too.


Don't worry, we love his awesome big brother too :)